Friday, March 27, 2009

Catching Fire With Love

An excerpt from The Life of Teresa of Jesus, The Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila

"How is it that there are not many who are led by sermons to forsake open sin? Do you know what I think? That it is because preachers have too much worldly wisdom. They are not like the Apostles, flinging it all aside and catching fire with love for God, and so their flame gives little heat. I do not say that their flame is as great as the Apostles was, but I could wish it were stronger than I see it is. To hold our life in abhorence and to consider our reputation as quite unimportant. Provided we say what is true and maintain it to the glory of God, we ought to be indifferent whether we lose everything or gain everything. For he who in all things is truly bold in God's service will be as ready to do the one as the other. I do not say I am that kind of person, but I wish I were.

Oh, what great freedom we enjoy! It makes us look upon having to live and act according to the law of the world as captivity! It is a freedom which we obtain from the Lord, and there is not a slave who would not risk everything in order to get his ransom and return to his native country. And as this is the true road, there is no reason for lingering on it, for we shall never gain complete possession of that great treasure until our life is over. May the Lord give us His help to this end."

No comments:

Post a Comment