Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Eternal Bread - Part 2


The dream I had about communion was dreamed on March 14, 2007, and it still lives in me. Some dreams are like that. You may walk around in them for years. Since dreams happen in the soul which is ageless and timeless our dreams are also ageless and timeless. They don’t stop after we dream them. They are still alive somewhere in our unconscious. Some we remember easily. Others we don’t. And some keep speaking to us. My dream about communion is one of those dreams that is still speaking to me two years later.

In the dream I was at my Mother’s church, Grace United Methodist Church, and someone said that we were going to have communion. Then I noticed that we were all seated at a long table. Everyone in the church sat at one extremely long table. I was on the left hand of the person at the head of the table, whom I don’t remember. Communion began. A piece of fish was handed to me. I was suppose to take a piece off of the fish and pass it down. People on the other side of the table were doing the same. I looked down at the fish and thought, "This is not how I’m used to doing communion. This is different."

But I pinched off a piece of fish and passed the rest down. The whole piece of fish was about three inches square...small fish. Then I ate my piece. Then the person handed me the bread. It looked like the bottom half of a flat biscuit, about 3 inches in diameter. I pinched off a piece of the bread and passed the rest down. Then I ate the bread. There was no wine, only fish and bread. And I looked down the table, and I couldn’t see the end of the table. It went on forever. But the fish and the bread never ran out.

The dream, I believe, was telling me that God’s provision never runs out, that He is always feeding me, all parts of me, as represented by all the people at the table. But it is more than that. Because this dream is a numinous dream (a dream that is filled with a sense of the presence of divinity) it is about more than just me. It is about all believers. It is also significant that I was at a church called Grace which to me means that I (and all believers) am feasting on God’s grace that never runs out. I thank God for this dream. It comforts me and fortifies my soul and spirit with the assurance of His eternal provision for all of us.
Copyright 2010 Gloria Fisher.
All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment