Thursday, July 23, 2009

Receiving What God Offers

In a local church I served as the leader of a healing group. Every Sunday morning after church I would stand at the back and pray for anyone who wanted prayers for healing. One morning a small elderly woman came for prayer. The Holy Spirit was present and strong, and I prayed with boldness. I expected to see her well and whole. Instead, she started to avoid me at church.

One Sunday morning we found ourselves alone at the refreshment table, and I asked her, "How are feeling these days?" And she looked at me sheepishly. "I guess you’re wondering why I don’t come back for prayers." I replied, "Well, I am hoping it is because you were healed." "No," she answered. "I’m not coming back for prayers because you prayed too strong for me. I don’t want that much healing! I wanted just a little healing. I won't be back." Her answer stopped me in my tracks. I had no reply for her.

In all my experience of praying for people I had never met someone who only wanted to be healed a little. And even now, as I’m writing this, I have to wonder: which little part did she want?

This encounter made me sad. And I’ve asked myself time and again, "Is our faith really too small for the power of God’s healing touch? Are we that afraid of God? Or are we afraid to be healed?"

In John 5 Jesus talked with a man in a similar situation. He was by the sheep gate in Jerusalem where there lay a lot of people who were sick, blind, and lame. And Jesus saw the man lying there, and He asked him, "Do you wish to get well?" To most of us, that might seem like a silly question...if we dare think Jesus was ever silly. Wouldn’t everyone want to get well? Wouldn’t everyone want a lot of healing? All the healing they could get?

Evidently, not everyone does. Maybe there comes a lot of responsibility with being well. Perhaps it’s easier to lie there. Some people might get attention for being sick. Others might receive alms or gifts or even compassion or love when they’re sick. Sadly to say, maybe it takes too much effort to stay healthy. It might be easier just to fall into bad habits and let yourself go. Sickness is a convenient excuse.

Whatever the reason it is a sad indictment when the Healer is present and willing and we say, "Sorry. I think I’ll pass." God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:16) If He loved us so much He would send His Son to us, why wouldn’t we want every benefit that He wishes to give us? Whether it is healing, an abundant life, success, children, or love, we should open our hearts and our spirits to receive His gifts and treasures. When God asks, "Do you want to get well?" Our answer should be an enthusiastic, "Yes!" When He asks, "Do you want abundance?" "Yes!" should be our reply. No more excuses. No more waiting. Be grateful and receive all God has for you!

Copyright 2009 Gloria Fisher.
All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment