Friday, May 8, 2009

Authenticity

Copyright 2009 Gloria Fisher.
All rights reserved.

When I was a child and in the third grade, we had a project to do in class. Finger painting. What could be more fun! Bright colors on a slick white page of paper. The best part was the messiness of it all. Small hands squishing swirls of blue and green and red. It tickled my insides. Not looking at anyone else’s paper I focused on being creative in my own imagination. With the confidence of a nine year old I let my mind run wild.

It was only later at the end of class when my teacher looked at mine, and I saw the disappointment on her face that I realized I had not done well at all. Only when she said, "Well, dear, I don’t think you’re going to be an artist," did I look around to compare my artwork with anyone else’s. At that moment I believed her because, after all, she was the teacher, and she should know. It has taken decades to get past her negative opinion and nourish the artist within me.

How many of us lost our creativity and passion in our childhood because of a thoughtless comment thrown out there from someone in authority? Many of us, I submit. When we were children, we didn’t know we weren’t artistic or smart or cute until someone told us. Needing their love and approval we erased ourselves a little at a time and became whomever and whatever they said we were. Over time we forgot who we really were and what it was we once wanted.

For some the long road back to whom they really are is long and hard. But with God’s help, with prayer, or with spiritual direction it is possible to grow into whom you were truly meant to be. To become an authentic person takes courage, strength, faith, and persistence. Making honest self-assessments sheds light on what your true desires are. Not what someone else wants you to be. By answering questions about what you want and where you want to go in the future sheds light on your path. What are your gifts? What do you love to do with your time? Where would you like to live? What does God want you to do?

Having an honest friend who will hold up a mirror to you helps. Some people have several friends who form a small success group to meet on a regular schedule to encourage each other toward their goals. Others meet in prayer groups to pray for authenticity and the courage to stick by their decisions. Accepting criticism about weaknesses is difficult but necessary. Only with that knowledge is it possible to repair what damage has been done and move on. Prayer, quiet time, and reflection seem to buoy solutions to the surface where they can be available for usage in the formation of a new life.

Unfortunately, we have all had our authentic selves twisted and wounded by unthinking people. But there is a place of healing and new beginnings. With God’s help we can move past old hurts and step into what I call the Grace Groove where we are truly ourselves. In that place we move effortlessly, fully functioning, truly alive. We know exactly what we’re doing. We work wholeheartedly and also enjoy our leisure. We have balance in our lives. We know we are where we ought to be. Sure it takes work. But with God’s help it is possible to become what God intended us to be in the beginning, His creative and passionate children.

No comments:

Post a Comment